M atthews Mortuary
Established in 1946
Matthews Mortuary has provided funeral service to the community for over 64 years. The mortuary began in the community in August 1946 and held its formal opening Sept. 15, 1946, with a public open house. The mortuary was founded by Roy Jones, Pittsboro, and Keith Matthews, Boswell, after they had purchased the undertaking establishment of Evans & Webb in June 1946. Evans & Webb operated out of a store front location at 8 E. Main St. Mr. Jones and Mr. Matthews were both 24 years old and were the youngest funeral directors in the state of Indiana to own their own funeral home at that time. The funeral establishment was originally known as Jones and Matthews Mortuary. Jones & Matthews purchased a large two-story house at 402 E. Main St., which was owned by the Brownsburg American Legion Post, in August 1946. The building was redesigned and redecorated as a modern funeral home. Mr. Jones and Mr. Matthews were both graduates of the Indiana Institute of Mortuary Science in Indianapolis. Mr. Matthews had returned from World War II in October 1945 where he had served in the US Army, assigned to Graves Registration unit in the Pacific Theater. After the death of Mr. Jones in 1969, Mr. Matthews became the sole owner and operator of the funeral home in June 1970. Mr. Matthews' son, Steven, came to work for his father in August 1970. Steven, a graduate of Wabash College, served in the US Army for two years and then attended and graduated from Indiana College of Mortuary Science in September 1971. In 1984, the name was changed from Jones & Matthews Mortuary to Matthews Mortuary and operates under that incorporated name today with Steven Matthews as President. Keith Matthews died in October 1995 after 53 years in funeral service and still a practicing funeral director at the time of his death. Jason Matthews, Steven's son and a graduate of Ball State University and Mid-America College of Funeral Service, began work with the mortuary in 1997, beginning the third generation of funeral service to the community. Jason is currently the Vice-President. After 56 years at the E. Main St. location, the mortuary moved its operations to a new building at 690 E. 56th St., Brownsburg, in June 2002. The 12,000 sq. ft. state of the art facility was completed after eight months of construction. Steven Matthews designed and detailed the floor plan and exterior of the new facility. The mortuary has two large chapels with adjoining family rooms, that can be divided into four large visitation rooms individually accessible from main corridors, private arrangement office for meeting families, study office available for clergy, large casket selection room, public lounge for families during visitations, and spacious staff and service rooms and service corridor that connects the operations areas to the chapels and family rooms. A large separate flower room is located at the northwest corner of the mortuary that provides florists easy access for delivery.
The monuments located at the base of the flags at the front of the building are dedicated to the men and women who serve and have served in the Armed Forces of the United States and in the Police and Fire Public Safety positions in the local communities.
Matthews Mortuary is and has always been family owned and operated. The mortuary offers all areas of preneed planning, including information counseling, prearrangements for any type of service, and funeral funding plans and irrevocable funeral trusts.